"How in the world did I get here?"
I asked myself that question several times on Wednesday. I asked the question as the plane began to land at LAX and I saw the Los Angeles landscape out the window. I asked the question as I checked into the beautiful Woodfin Suites hotel (partly because of the death-defying shuttle ride from the airport to the hotel). I asked the question several times as we strolled the streets of Anaheim throughout the afternoon. As Tony Miano and Emeal Zwayne gave the opening words for us Wednesday night.
Why did I keep asking that question? Well, for two reasons. Reason number one is
because exactly 11 years ago, I had very little zeal for the lost and little motivation to overcome my shyness to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ with them. I got on my knees in my home office and begged God to give me a burden for the lost. He did. But when I prayed that prayer, I never dreamt that I would be in Los Angeles ready to preach the Gospel in places like Hollywood Blvd. and Huntington Beach. But here I was, in Los Angeles (OK, the hotel was in Anaheim, but all evangelism was in L.A.), at Ambassadors Academy #11.
because exactly 11 years ago, I had very little zeal for the lost and little motivation to overcome my shyness to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ with them. I got on my knees in my home office and begged God to give me a burden for the lost. He did. But when I prayed that prayer, I never dreamt that I would be in Los Angeles ready to preach the Gospel in places like Hollywood Blvd. and Huntington Beach. But here I was, in Los Angeles (OK, the hotel was in Anaheim, but all evangelism was in L.A.), at Ambassadors Academy #11.The second reason why I asked the question was because of one year ago. One year ago, I pretty much felt like this Ambassadors Academy aspect of Living Waters was something I would pray for, but would never attend because I thought it was just for the really intense people. In fact, I told God that I wouldn't be going to an Academy.
Well, that all changed last October as we traveled home from the Transformed Conference in West Virginia. God ade it very clear to me that I was to go. I figured I would at least be open to it, but knew it would be a long time before I could afford to go. Well, God wasn't about to let me get away with that, so He raised up my church family to remove that excuse. I am so blessed to be a part of such an incredible church family!
So, here I was at Ambassadors Academy #11. A shy, introverted pastor who used to have little very desire to share the Gospel with the lost, especially strangers. I was about to do things that I knew would shove me way beyond my comfort zone. As I sat in the hotel conference room listening to the opening remarks of the Academy, I became very much aware that this was not about me - it was about the Lord, for apart from Him I can do nothing. Going to the Academy didn't make me some evangelistic hero. I was simply being open and obedient to the Lord. I was ready to let Him direct my evangelistic efforts instead of determing for myself what I would and would not do - namely, what was safe and comfortable. I was now in a spot where I had to trust Him 100%. I was excited. I was scared. But I was ready for what was to come.
Stay tuned for day #2.

