Friday, June 19, 2009

Ambassadors' Academy #11 - Day 4

The final day of the Academy had arrived. I was exicted about the final day of work before us. We began the day, though with two baptisms at the hotel pool - always a great time to get you pumped up! We made our way to the beautiful Huntington Beach to begin a day of evangelism. Once the box was set up, I was actually getting myself ready to hop up and start preaching. But God had other plans. Open-air preaching had been fun and "easy" so far during the Academy. God wanted me to be pushed - and praise God, my team leader was nicknamed "The Pusher."

Just as I was about to get "in line" for the box, The Pusher (Steve), called us together and said, "Come with me." He instructed us that we were about to play a game called "Stevie Says." We would walk down the promenade and do whatever Steve told us to do. I swallowed hard and went along.
The first big challenge at hand was the Rock and Roll Emporium. Steve told me that there were two people at the counter and my challenge was to witness to them. Sounds easy enough, but this pushed me out of my comfort zone in a huge way! I walked in, pulled out two of the Big Money tracts and said, "Hi - here's some big money for you guys!" They asked what it was and I told them it was a Gospel tract. I tried to to engage them in a conversation, but the one guy (the other was a girl) said, "Well, this is a place of business and we shouldn't really be talking about that stuff." Now, how could I go back to the team and explain to Steve that I didn't share with them? A one second prayer was answered as I went on to say, "OK, but if I could just take a few seconds and share something important." I went on, without permission first, to share, in testimony style, the Law and the Gospel. I thanked them and wished them a wonderful day. Mission accomplished!

Now, we weren't done, though. We were tracting people on the sidewalk, a restaurant patio, and a Starbucks. I am so grateful that God didn't let me do the comfortable thing and just get up on the box, but I was in the right place and the right time for the invitation to play "Stevie Says." It was probably the most challenging (and therefore best) moment of the entire Academy for me.

After the game, we made it back in time for Ray Comfort's open-air session and learned so much watching that take place! In fact, every single part of the Academy experience was precious, challenging, and a blessing beyond words.

I would urge you to prayerfully consider applying for an Academy. There is one more left for 2009. But they will start back up with a fresh set in 2010. There are scholarships available, so don't let money hold you back. It will be one of the single greatest experiences of your life!