It's Friday! That means it's open-air at Lakewood Park time!! Although, it did look bad all morning - gloomy, cold, and a bit rainy. I was eager all week for today and, as long as it wasn't actively raining, I was going to be there! However, as I pulled into the park, I realized that the largest part of the park was blocked off because they were starting to get things set up for the fireworks show tomorrow night. Apart from that, and a couple having a "private moment" at a picnic table, the park was empty!
After several minutes of being unsure what to do, the sun began to peak through a little bit. A person here or there started showing up for a lunch-time stroll. OK, as long as someone can hear us, we're doing it!
So, we (team of four including a toddler supporter) set up the box near the veteran's memorial in the center of the parking lot area. Two of us traded off reading through 1 John, then another team member arrived and got in on the action.
When we were done reading 1 John, we noticed that there were several people who were turning and looking at us, which showed us they could hear us. So, I began to preach, followed up by two of the other team members. One great thing is that one of the guys, who has read Scripture from the box once before, actually went into some preaching!!!!
I would say that there were 15-20 that we know could hear us, plus a few others that just gave no indication that they could hear us. So, what started off looking like a total bust ended up being not too bad after all. It was neat to see how it wasn't until we got on the box and started that people began showing up. I am so glad we didn't decide to up and leave - as small as the crowd was, they all still needed to hear the Gospel!
On a personal note, I think I am settling on my open-air volume. Today, I think I pushed it too hard. I made it through my 10-12 minutes or so (feeling like I was about at my max), but when I got up for the last time to finish things up, I could barely get anything out.
On Monday, I am going to check out another park close to this one where we may be able to do some ministry as well. I am also looking to start going out on Monday or Tuesday nights to do some open-air, as well. Please be praying!!

